Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Discover/Colonize Islands and Manage your Ships in Anno Online

Server
    Crow's Nest

How to Discover/Colonize Islands and Manage your Ships in Anno Online

Anno Online: How to Discover/Colonize/ Islands and Manage Your Ships

How To Build a Ship

Ships are built in the shipyard. To unlock it, you need at least 1500 Vassals. To start working, the shipyard needs several pre-produced ship parts which can be made in the naval engineer building. This is also available once you reach a population of 1500 Vassals. You can see the amount and the type of items needed to build a ship in the shipyard menu. After you have produced these items, you can start the ship building.

Where Do Ships Go After Building Them?

Ships are put into your inventory after production. To “apply” them to the water, you have to open the inventory and left-click on the ship item. After that it will be placed into the water near your lighthouse. You can find it just off the coast in the water.

My Ship Is Not Usable To Do Anything. Help!

Ships need a captain to be able to fulfill tasks. If you did not place one onto the ship, then it cannot do anything. Each captain supports one type of ship task. The possible tasks are explore, colonize, trade and transport. Captains are trained in the ship engineer and will be placed in the inventory afterwards. To add them on a ship, left-click on them, move your mouse over the ship and click again.
    Note: Captains cannot be removed once they have been added to a ship.

To give your ship a task, click the respective button in the ship menu after selecting your ship or use the island overview menu. Here you can send ships to explore, colonize or to transport goods directly. To start a trade you have to use the harbormaster’s office (see the Question “How can I trade with other players” for details).

How to Discover an Island

Islands are discovered by exploration ships. These are created by adding a sailor of any level to a ship. For further details on this, read the questions “How can I build a ship?” and “My ship is unable to do anything. Help!” To send your ship on an exploration, you can select it in the harbor and left-click the “Explore” button. Alternatively, open the island overview window and press “Discover…” directly in your free island slot. If you go via the island overview, the ship list will open. The expedition will start after you have selected an idle exploration ship and clicked “Discover…” again. Depending on the sailor and the ship/sail you use, the expedition can take less than one hour or as long as twelve hours.

When your exploration ship comes back, the island that it has found will be displayed in the list of your discovered islands. This is located on the left of your island overview menu. If you like an island, you can colonize it. Don’t wait too long - the islands will expire after three to five days.

How to Find the Island You Need?

The most important thing is to choose the sailor that best fits your needs. For example, if you want to find an island with stone/iron resources, you need to use a normal or capable sailor. For gold occurrences the experienced sailor is necessary. See the tooltips in the naval engineer menu for further details. When you chose the best-fitting sailor you just need a little luck to find the island you want. To increase your chances, you can use additional explorer ships. But be careful - each ship costs you upkeep!

How to Colonize Islands

Island colonization is similar to island exploration. If you want to colonize an island, you can select it in the list of your discovered islands and click on the “colonize” button at the bottom of the island overview menu. The button is not clickable if you don’t have a free island slot available. In the opened ship list the colonization ship of your choice can be selected and the colonization is started by clicking the colonization button again. After a few hours (depending on the ship/sails you use) you will find the colonized island in your island overview. If you do not have a colonization ship yet, you need to add a loadsman trained in the naval engineer to a ship. Please note: the ship and the loadsman are consumed during the colonization.

How to Abandon Your Island

You can abandon islands only if there are no transport routes to the island or ships placed at the island. You need to cancel the transport routes and wait until the ship returns to its home port. Moreover you need to make sure that none of your ships have the island as their home port. The home port of a ship is defined by the island you are currently on, when you apply a ship out of your inventory. You cannot change the home port of a ship at the moment, so the only way to remove a ship from an island is to sink it by using the demolish mode.

How to Explore an Additional Sector of Your Island

Move your cursor so that it is hovering above the mist. The size of the respective sector is displayed by a hatched border around it. After clicking on the mist, a menu opens displaying the minimum size your settlement must be to unlock the exploration for that sector. To actually start exploring, you must then provide the goods displayed in the menu. After that you can start the exploration by clicking the “Explore” button. The exploration can take between several hours to days depending on the sector. Once this time has passed the mist lifts and you can use the explored sector to expand your settlement.

What Happens to my Colonizer Ship after it Colonizes an Island?

The colonizer is consumed during the colonization and will not come back afterwards. If you want to colonize an additional island, you need to build a new one.

Why Can’t I Apply Ships Anymore?

Please notice the ship limit. In Anno Online, the amount of ships your settlement can use is limited by your lighthouse, placed off the coast in the water. By clicking it you can see how many ships you currently have and what the maximum limit is. If the maximum is reached, you can still build new ships, but it is not possible to apply them to the water.

To increase the ship limit, you have to upgrade the lighthouse by clicking on the upgrade button in the lighthouse menu. To do this, you need to reach a set number of inhabitants and – of course – the right building materials.

When I Try to Setup a Transport Route, I Cannot Use the Whole Tonnage on the Return. Why?

This is a safety mechanism of the game. The total amount of goods you can allocate for the whole transport route cannot exceed the total tonnage of the ship. This is to prevent ships from running full. Without this mechanism it could be possible that you configure a transport route that will break over time. A short example to illustrate this:

Imagine your ship has a tonnage of 40t and you want to transport 40t of stone to another island as well as collect 20t linen garments for the return journey. Over time the target island’s stone storage is filled up and the ship is no longer able to deliver the stone. Hence there is no space left for the linen garments. Therefore the ship cannot transport any linen garments back to your inhabitants and this could severely damage your economy.

I Need Stone/Iron Occurrences, but I cannot find some. What Can I Do?

The resources your expeditions can find are dependent on the type of sailor you use for your exploration ship. The experienced sailor will not find stone and iron, but will find copper, gold, quartz and coal.

How Can I Trade with Other Players?

The trading system is unlocked when you reach 250 merchants. To trade with other players, it is necessary to build a trade storehouse on one of your empty pier slots. If there is no pier slot available, you can build an additional pier or upgrade one of the existing ones. You also need to add a Merchant captain to a ship to create a trade ship.

After you have built a trade storehouse and trade ship, you can start trading via the harbormaster’s office. Each trade storehouse you own grants you a trade slot.

To start a trade, click on one of the empty slots in the harbormaster’s menu. First you have to decide if you want to buy or sell. The trade wizard will guide you.

To buy something, click the “Buy” button and choose the type of goods that you wish to purchase. A list of all available offers on the market will appear, divided between trader (Non Player Characters) and player offers. To switch between trader and player offers, use the tabs on the top of the menu. For every offer you can see: the amount offered, the price per unit, the time the offer is still active and the player or trader offering it. To select an offer, simply left-click it.

A list of your available trade ships will appear and one has to be assigned to the trade. Finally you get an overview screen to choose the amount you want to buy using the slider in the center. At the bottom the grand total is displayed together with the duration of the trade. This is how long your selected ship needs to transport all the goods to your harbor. Complete the trade task by clicking the finish-button. The cost of the trade will be debited immediately.
    If you buy more goods than your warehouse can store, your trade storehouse will work as an interim warehouse, filling up the normal warehouse whenever more space becomes available. During this time you cannot use this trade storehouse for trading.

Selling goods works in a similar way. After clicking “Sell” and selecting the type of goods, you just have to choose the amount and the price per unit. Your offer will be listed in the trade lists after you confirmed it and other players can then accept your offer. Your offer will last for 5 days. If an offer is accepted, the other players’ ship will arrive at your harbor and start to collect the goods. In most cases the ship will need more than one visit to collect everything.

Every time it docks at your pier you get paid the value of the goods it takes with it. If you are not able to sell everything during this time, the rest will be transferred to your warehouse. If there is no room in your warehouse, the trade slot will stay blocked until the goods are transferred from the interim warehouse. If your treasury cannot accept the money you earn by trading, due to your treasury house being full, the coins will be added to your inventory. You can discard trade tasks and offers at any time but be careful; if your warehouse and/or treasury are at their capacity limit, goods and money may be lost.

Where Can I Get Spices/Indigo/Silk from?

As you cannot produce them yourself, you have to trade for these goods. Use your trade menu (see the Question “How can I trade with other players?” for details), select the type of goods you want and then choose the tab “Trader”. There you will find the offer from your friend Northburgh. But be careful, as even Northburgh does not produce these goods by himself and is dependent on his trading partners. This leads to fluctuating prices. If you want to get the best price, you have to check prices often.

Ships Purchased with Rubies from the In-Game Shop

Any ship that is purchased from the in-game shop with rubies comes with a built in Captain. You can only add an Enormous Cargo Holds or a First-Class Sail to this ship and are not able to add any types of ship captain. Also, if you choose to delete a ship purchased from the in-game shop, it will return to your inventory. This also goes for anything else that was added to the ship, such as an Enormous Cargo Hold or a First-Class Sail. These mechanics work a little differently with ships that have been built using a Shipyard in the game, which I will explain down below.

Mechanics of Ships Built Using the Shipyard

Ships built using the Shipyard in-game will need to have a Captain added to them in order to achieve certain tasks. You will need to add a sailor, loadsman, merchant, or a mate to your ship before it is able to sail. You can add captains to your community using a Naval Engineer. If you delete a ship that was built using a Shipyard, you will lose all the supplies and the ship itself. These items do not return to your inventory like it does with a purchased ship.
    Last edited by BB_Halwyn2; 25.06.13 at 17:53.

Server
    Crow's Nest
    This thread seems backwards. Shouldn't we talk about ship construction before we send it to explore the island?

Server
    Crow's Nest
    my first ship will only discover small islands. Can I sell the ship and build a new one. or will it just suck money from me.

Server
    Crow's Nest
    You will only be able to discover small islands with a sailor. You will need a new ship with a capable sailor to discover medium islands or those with herb fertility. Your island will have to grow so you have 1 merchant residence to build the capable sailor.

Server
    Crow's Nest
    How do we change sailors? My first ship has an explorer on it. I now want to use that same ship to transport goods between my islands. I have a Mate ready to go. But I can't get the Sailor off the ship so can replace him with the Mate. Is it even possible to change captains?

By the way, this whole ship management and island management thing is really overly complex. Who says you can't use the same ship for exploration, colonization and transport? Having to build 3 separate ships to do these jobs is really pretty dumb.

Server
    Crow's Nest
    you can't change sailors. Once you make your choice of what you want your ship to do you can't change, you have to build a new ship.

Now, a new system of building ships is coming with tomorrow nights server maintenance. I don't know too much about it but I'm fairly sure you still won't be able to change sailors

Server
    Crow's Nest
    Not only won't you be able to change sailors, but sailors aren't even a usable item anymore. They are a resource to be used in ship construction.

Server
    Crow's Nest
    Ill have my 1.5k vassals today and i found this thread highly valuable. Thanks for the info!

Reply to Thread